Thursday, April 11, 2013

Taunus - am enchanted hilly region north of Frankfurt




I have heard of Taunus since the time I first came to Germany, more specifically in Moerfelden-Walldorf, but it’s only in 2012 that I finally got the chance to explore some of its greatest treasures – Ober-Reifenberg, Feldberg, Saalburg and Bad Homburg v.d.H.


So, what finally made me decide to see Taunus? It was short stint of research on carbon dioxide emission which first took me to this place. I saw a what-I-thought-to-be-a castle, but because I had a specific task to accomplish, there was no time for sight-seeing. Then finally, the following I set forth for an expedition.


It was a short drive from Wallldorf to Taunus. On our way to our first destination, Ober-Reifenberg, we passed through some interesting and plush villages and lush-green forest. Ober-Reifenberg was our first stop because the what-I-thought-to-be-a castle was located there as Google said. The navigation system which is a popular thing now in every European car proved really helpful in tracing this place. Then, the tower greeted us from afar. After finding a parking space which was really easy, we started walking. Then, I learned that it was not a castle, but a ruin of a fort. The two centre towers were amazingly built on top of a hill. I can’t really provide any historical importance of this ruin because there was no written description provided at the entrance or anywhere else, but a local told me that this ruin served as a toll house for the local knights for the landlord during the medieval period. Luckily, there were no tourists on site except us so picture-taking was not a problem at all!


Our next stop was the highest point in the Taunus – Feldberg. The long winding road traversing through lush green forest took us to a plateau – the peak of the hill. From there, one has a 360 degree view of the towns around Taunus. On a bright clear daylight, a not-so-distant Frankfurt City can also be observed from the tower, but unfortunately, the weather that day was uncooperative. The temperature at the peak was totally different from the plain so we had to grab our jackets and caps. I started thinking how this place would look like in the winter? I was really curious.


Descending from the peak was an enjoyable ride; it’s as if you’re gliding. Then, we headed to Saalburg to see another historically important structure - the Limes Wall. It’s one of the fortresses built during the Roman Empire. The entrance was 5 euros, but because I had my student ID I had to pay only 3.50 euros. Inside the walls are a museum featuring artefacts during the Roman invasion in Germany and other buildings showing how life was that time. The place, I would say, is well-maintained as evident in condition of the buildings and the appearance of the garden.


From Saalburg, we slowly headed to Bad Homburg which is known for its castle and other recreational and health centres. This old city also showcases other antique buildings and houses which could vicariously take you back in time. Aside from the castle and its garden where tourists guide would normally direct his clients, the other two structures which caught my attention were a Protestant Church just outside the gate of the castle and a Catholic Church. Unfortunately, both churches where closed during our visit so I can’t provide any photos of their interiors.

No comments: