Monday, March 16, 2015

Prague: A Golden City in Eastern Europe


Charles Bridge and St. Vitus Cathedral
I can say that Prague is another favourite city of mine next to Paris. It has become the object of my fantasy since the former Czechoslovakia dissolved into two independent states:  Czech Republic and Slovakia.

Therefore my very first journey to this former Russia-influenced state stirred so many questions in my head: How does the city look? How are the people? How does a former communist country look like? Is it safe there?

These questions have been answered when I entered Prague, the capital city of Czech Republic.



First Impression

The city looked old and I like it. You see, I travel to Europe because I am fond of medieval cities. The remnants of its past were still visible on its walls and buildings. Those old buildings , the cobblestoned streets, old street cars and the people - yes, I was in Czech Republic.  I can also
say immediately that this is a city of grand architecture! And when I entered our hotel room, which I wrote an interesting review, I said to myself that I was in Eastern Europe.

What I Enjoyed

Walking. I enjoyed walking through the streets of Prague. The sights were amazing; you're eyes won't get bored.

Wenceslas Square
Wenceslas Square is an interesting meeting point for local and international tourists. Here you will find city-bus tours offering guided tours through the city. I tried it and what I enjoyed about it is the fluency of the travel guide in three languages: Czech, German and English. Will I do it again? No. It's not for middle-aged guy like me. From this point, you can walk towards the direction of the river and you will find the Old Time Square.

Prague Astronomical Clock
In the Old Time Square you will find the word-famous Prague Astronomical Clock - the oldest working astronomical clock in the world. You must patiently wait for the figures to move as the hour changes - it's a delight to see. Also, witnessing a Czech wedding is a memorable one. By the way, I also recommend that you visit and spend some time at night here. It's a totally different atmosphere.

Charles Bridge
From the Old Time Square, you're already near the very famous Charles Bridge. This iconic bridge is truly magnificent. From the street by the bridge, you will already see the Prague Castle on top of a hill. The view of the bridge and the palace is something mesmerising. When you cross Charles Bridge, it will lead you to a series  of streets which will eventually take you to the Castle. From this bridge all the way to Palace, your eyes will be tempted by the colourful souvenirs and original paintings by local artists. I was tempted so I bought one painting. It's a long walk, so I recommend that you stop in one of those local restaurants and enjoy a local beer and some dumplings.

Prague Castle
Prague Castle, the largest ancient castle in the world, is very magnificent. I think no still pictures can capture its true beauty. What I find really interesting in this part of my tour is the changing of the guards. I was very lucky to witness them form in front of their head quarter and march towards the Castle. It was midday so if you wanna witness that, try to consider the time. Within Prague Castle is St. Vitus Cathedral.

St. Vitus Cathedral
St. Vitus Cathedral or the Metropolitan Cathedral of Saints Vitus, Wenceslaus and Adalbert is the seat of the archbishop of Prague. The cathedral is a perfect example of Gothic architecture. While looking at it, I started asking how much the Catholic church and/or the government has to spend in preserving its natural beauty?

There are so many landmarks and monuments to see in Prague. I stayed there for two nights and three days and I think that should be enough for any adventurous travellers like me.

By the way, I also recommend that you try the ghost tours at night. I imagine it's gonna be exciting.

Facade of St. Vitus Cathedral
Suggestions

1. If you're visiting a city, study it first. Get a map and locate the all famous attractions. Hotels near the centre are mostly more expensive than those far or outside the city. So you need to consider your time and the means of transport in case you wanna save on cash and prefer staying in a much affordable hotel far from the city centre. This is true for all cities, by the way.

2. However, through all my travels, I learned and realised that staying in a hotel near or in the city centre has some benefits. For example, you can save on time and on cash for commuting.

3. Again, for travellers, I suggest that you walk and always carry a map. Wear your comfortable shoes and practice your sense of direction.




No comments: