Tuesday, December 29, 2015

5 Things I Learned About South Korea and Its People


Korean Women Preparing their Harvest for Selling (Photo by Gregg Manalo)

My jaunt to the Land of the Morning Calm introduced me to the country and its people. Brief as it may seem, but this memorable experience taught me five things about South Korea and its people.  

1. Koreans are Extremely Accommodating

Honestly, prior to my trip to South Korea, I had the impression that South Koreans  were not so friendly. However, this notion absolutely vanished when I had the chance to mingle with these accommodating people in their homeland.

Korean Family Who Took the Blogger Around. (Photo by Gregg Manalo)

Koreans are more than just friendly. They are very accommodating and they will take the extra mile to assist you in whatever concern you have. For example, I asked a Korean lady to send a text message to my friend that I would rendezvous at the bus terminal. She did without hesitation. While waiting at the bus station, I asked a Korean man to call my friend and tell her that I have arrived.  First, he was confused, then he asked me if it’s a Korean number. When I told him that it is a Korean number, he called that number and gave me his phone so I could communicate with my friend. Just awesome!

This Restaurant Owner (Middle) Happily Posed with Us after Dining. (Photo by: Gregg Manalo)

2. Korean Food is One of the Best

Kimchi and Shabu-shabu are the most popular Korean food that I know. During my stay in Korea, I savoured each Korean dish that I could try which brought me to realise how deliciously healthy their food is. 


Typical Food Serving in a Korean Restaurant (Photo by: Gregg Manalo) 
Korean food is also not boring because there are so many flavors that tickle your taste bud. Honestly, I am salivating while writing this part. What’s also special about dining in Korea is that you get so many side dishes that complete your dining experience. And more importantly, I have noticed that Korean food does not produce this bloated feeling in your tummy even if you eat a bit more than your usual portion.

Typical Setting in a Traditional Korean Restaurant. (Photo by Gregg Manalo)

3. Korea Blasts in Different Hues in Autumn

When we talk of picture-perfect autumn, we usually hear about North America, but Korea is also as colourful and as beautiful as other countries in North America. It's just like hand-made painting by Nature. I have the evidence here.

Cheongnamdae Photo by: Gregg Manalo

4. It’s Very Safe to Walk Alone

I love going out at night when in another country because I want to capture the beauty of the city when darkness envelopes it and the evening spectacle when nighttime falls. In Korea, I never had the  slight feeling that I was in danger. I have never seen any drunken men on the streets, unscrupulous vendors chasing tourists, and untrustworthy people offering goods.

Walking Alone at Night Time is No Problem. (Photo by: Gregg Manalo)

5. Taxi Drivers are Very Honest, Dependable, and Responsible

This is something I really, really appreciate in Korea. Taxi drivers are very honest and professional people. They will not say “No” to a customer, unlike most taxi drivers in Manila. When they do not know how to get to the destination, they will ask for a contact number and call the person or establishment you’re meeting or going to and ask for directions. When he knows he has committed a mistake in driving which prolonged your journey, he would give you discount.

A Local Taxi Driver with the Blogger and his Friends (Photo by Gregg Manalo) 

There are more positive things to say about Korea and its people. These are just five which I realized in my short stint in this awesome country. It’s your turn to explore and get to know them and contribute something to this list.  


Cheongnamdae (Photo by: Gregg Manalo)

No comments: